DWM.exe stands for desktop window manager and it exists in windows just to bring transparent effects in taskbar and interface known as aero effects or aero themes in Windows Vista, 7 and above. In short you should not be worried as this file is not a virus, spyware or adware, it is considered to be safe as it is inbuilt in the windows and is from Microsoft. However if it is taking more memory and cpu than you think it should then it might slow down your computer.
HOW TO FIX DWM.EXE HIGH MEMORY / HIGH CPU USAGE ?
You must be worried if you see in your task manager that the process is using 100 % or 99 % cpu or memory. If you are curious about how to fix it then here are several fixes for 100 % cpu/memory usage by dwm.exe : –
- Turn off aero theme and effects and switch to basic theme.
- Disable the dwm.exe service
- Permanently disable dwm.exe
So how here is how they are done, step by step :-
- Turning off aero effects and switching to basic theme
In Windows Vista : –
Right click on desktop, then choose personalize and then Windows Color and Appearance as illustrated below :-
Then select windows color and appearance as below
then go to classic appearance and properties as
then select basic theme and click on apply as below
Now lets come to method number 2 i.e. stopping the service, here we go :-
- How to disable dwm.exe by stopping service
This is an advanced method to disable the service, doing this windows will be automatically switched to basic theme. Here how to do that in two steps :-
- Goto control panel and open services from there or press windows + r key together and type services.msc as in below screenshot.
- Find the service in the list named as “Desktop Window Manager Session Manager” and then stop it as described below :
HOW TO PERMANENTLY DISABLE DWM.EXE SERVICE?
This is method number 3 to fix dwm.exe error, it permanently disable this service and prevents it starting automatically when Window starts.
Actually this is an additional step in the above method, here it is :
- Open services by going to control panel or using start + r key (as described in above method).
- Find “Desktop Window Manager Session Manager” service from the services list.
- Right click on it and change startup type to disabled state as in following screenshot : –
This will permanently disable the process and service and you will be switched to basic theme by default.
USING CMD (COMMAND LINE) TO DISABLE DWM.EXE
If you want to avoid all these hassle above then you may use cmd interface to stop or disable service, its just a matter of one command and that you can copy and paste too.
Firstly just open command prompt as administrator then type the following commands :-
To start the service
net start uxsmsIt will start the dwm service if it was already stopped.
To stop the service
net stop uxsmsIt will just stop the service but when you restart windows it will also be restarted.
To disable the service
sc config uxsms start= disabledIt will disable permanently the dwm.exe service and prevent it from starting automatically.
To enable the service again
sc config uxsms start= autoIt will bring back the service, require restart.
example screenshot :-
Hope this guide on how to fix dwm.exe high cpu and memory usage helps you in the best way, do not forge to comment, like, follow and share.